First off, I have an absolute love affair with sweet potatoes! They’re so versatile and so good for you! Despite the fact that they’re ‘sweet’, they’re actually MUCH lower in sugar than regular potatoes and have a lot more nutrients in them as well, so they’re a powerhouse food for those of us who are trying to eat healthier and get the most bang for our buck out of our food choices.
They have pretty much the same texture as regular white potatoes and so you can use them in place of white potatoes in any recipe! And since one of my all time favorites treats are twice baked potatoes (you know, the kind LOADED with sour cream, bacon and cheese…), I decided to recreate a much healthier version of them! And they honestly couldn’t be simpler either! My one piece of advice to make them stay together better is to precook the sweet potatoes and then let them cool off before you attempt to scoop out the stuff inside! That way the skins will stay intact!
And these are 100% 21 Day Fix friendly and so satisfying! The plain Greek yogurt is an awesome substitute for the sour cream and the tartness of the goat cheese pairs so perfectly with the slight sweetness of the sweet potatoes! Nom nom nom. I kind of want to make these every day of life for the rest of my life! They are definitely one of my new favorite ways to use up a Yellow container!
I shared this recipe in my Sugar Detox Group last week and it was a big hit. If you’re looking to cut down on the amount of sugar that you’re eating, sweet potatoes are a great way to go. Other carbs like potatoes and corn are super starchy and so they break down into sugars quickly. But carbs like sweet potatoes (or quinoa and brown rice) are more nutrient dense and so they keep you feeling fuller longer and the sugars in them break down slower, giving you a steadier source of energy!
God, I could go on and on about how much the 21 Day Fix has changed my life. Particularly my eating habits! This program just makes it so easy to know exactly what to eat in order to get the results you’re looking for and my favorite part is that you still get to enjoy awesome recipes like these Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes.
So what are you waiting for?! Go get yourself a bag of sweet potatoes and make a bunch of these babies to have for your side dishes this week! I served mine with some grilled chicken and asparagus and it was absolutely positively a perfect summer meal!
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 tsp grass fed butter
- 1/2 Tbs Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbs crumbled goat cheese
- Sea salt, onion powder & dried parsley to taste
- Bake the sweet potato ahead of time (I microwaved mine for 5 minutes! But you can bake in the oven too!)
- Once the potato is cooled, cut the potato in half lengthwise and carefully scoop out the inside.
- In a bowl, combine the sweet potato with the butter, cheese, Greek yogurt and seasonings to taste.
- If you're in a hurry, heat the mixture up in the microwave for a minute and then spoon into the sweet potato skin.
- Sprinkle with a little extra parsley and then bake at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes. If you don't heat the sweet potato mixture beforehand, add in an extra 5-10 minutes for it to cook!