Yes, I promise that this Blackened Chicken w/ Poblano Cream Sauce IS still healthy…even though it tastes like it’s anything but healthy! It was soooooo good though. And even though it looks like more of a summery dish, you can totally make it year round to get a taste of summer even during the winter!
Here’s the backstory on this dinner: Nick & I decided to try out Blue Apron last week since we were able to get a box of 3 meals (each that served 2 people) for only $10…I mean, my frugal little self just couldn’t pass up that deal. So I ordered the box and we made the meals and they were all sooooo good! The two other meals we had were Pan Seared Salmon over a Cucumber Dill Orzo Salad w/ Green Beans and Browned Butter & Thyme Gnocci w/ Maitake Mushrooms. Both of those were AMAZINGGGGG! Albeit, they weren’t the healthiest options in the world, but they were definitely healthier than going out to eat or getting take out (which probably would have happened last week had it not been for these meals since life got really hectic!).
The last meal was a Blackened Chicken over Zucchini Rice with Roasted Corn & Tomatoes. The blackened chicken was served with a lime cream sauce, that was delicious, but again, not exactly 21 Day Fix Friendly. But the meal itself was soooooo good that I knew I wanted to create my own spin on it! Hence, this Blackened Chicken w/ Poblano Cream Sauce was born…and then promptly devoured!
I wanted to maintain the creaminess of the sauce that went over the chicken, but I wanted to healthify it so that I could enjoy it without any guilt what so ever. And using plain Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream accomplished that! And I wanted to play off the earthy spiciness of the Ancho chili powder that is used to season the chicken, so I decided to make the cream sauce into a ROASTED POBLANO cream sauce! This was an easy way to really up the flavor of the sauce and mask the more tart taste of the Greek yogurt versus using straight up sour cream, which has a more mild & creamy taste on it’s own!
The combination was AWESOME. And I know for a fact that I’ll be making this dish again sometime because Nick & I both loved it! It was super easy to throw together so I definitely would recommend it for a weeknight meal. And even better, you can make the Poblano Cream Sauce ahead of time so that you save yourself even more time the night of.
And the sauce was so good that I ended up using it as a topping for chili for my lunches this week too! #winning
For my 21 Day Fix friends, I counted this chicken as 1 red and 1 tsp for the chicken, and then I ended up counting the sauce as an orange container! But you could also count it as like 1/4 of a red and 1/5 of a green or something if you want to take the time to divide all that up haha. But I found it easier to just count it as an orange container, which is the dressings container anyways! Keeping it simple over in my house!
- 2 thinly sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Up to 1 Tbs Ancho chili powder (or to taste)
- Sea Salt
- 1 tsp oil
- 3 Poblano peppers, sliced in half lengthwise and seeds removed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Rub the Poblano peppers with the oil. Spread on a baking sheet and season with salt & pepper. Roast at 425 degrees for about 10-15 minutes or until peppers are charred and softened. Allow to cool before handling.
- In a blender or in a bowl using an immersion blender, blend together the Greek yogurt, lime juice and roasted Poblano peppers. Refrigerate until needed.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Season the chicken breasts on both sides with Ancho chili powder and sea salt. Sear for 4-6 minutes per side, or until chicken is fully cooked through.
- Spoon Poblano Cream Sauce over chicken & enjoy!
P.P.S. Like this recipe? Click the buttons below to share away!